The importance of a fair and accurate count to our democracy cannot be overstated. Among other things, Census data are used to:
- Determine the number of congressional seats each state gets, and district lines that define state legislatures, city councils, and school boards.
- Decide how to distribute $800 billion to states and localities for education, housing, health programs, transportation, highways, and other important services.
- Help businesses make important marketing and investment decisions.
- Assist civil rights and advocacy groups to support social and economic disparities.
- Support researchers and demographers to analyze and explain the impact of our country’s changing demographics.